When Gina Holmes published her debut novel, Crossing Oceans, she received high praise from prolifically published authors and won awards. From her website we’re told this novel “was a Christy and Gold Medallion finalist and winner of the Carol Award, INSPY, and RWA’s Inspirational Reader’s Choice, as well as being a CBA, ECPA, Amazon and PW Religion bestseller.”
Sound like a dream come true? Yes. But a dream that came with a price. A price she was willing to pay.
Gina Holmes personifies patience and diligence. If you’re holding onto that dream you’re going to be discovered as a writer and be immediately launched into fame, sit down right now. This news will be hard for you to take. She had to work at her writing. Yes, she is gifted, talented and called to write, but she says it took ten years to get her first novel published. Notice I said first novel published. It was the fifth novel she wrote. Learn from her experience in this video below.
(More videos by Gina found here.)
Dreams happen while you’re sleeping. Dreams come true when waking moments are filled with the sweat equity required to perfect your abilities.
Why do writers think we can write right on the first try? As Gina pointed out, it takes four years to get a college degree, shouldn’t it take at least that long to learn the craft of writing?
I made it easy for you to
follow Gina’s advice.
“Get yourself to a writers conference!”
- Colorado Christian Writers Conference
Estes Park, Co – May 15th-18th
- Northwest Christian Writers Renewal
Redmond, WA – May 17-18
- Blue Ridge Mountains Christian Writers Conference
Asheville, North Carolina – May 19-23, 2013
- Write! Vancouver
Vancouver, BC, Canada – May 24-25, 2013
- Wisconsin Romance Writers of America (WisRWA) Relax and Renew Conference
Oconomowoc, WI - May31-June 1
- Write-to-Publish Conference
Wheaton, IL – June 5-8
- Write! Canada
Guelph, Ontario – June 13 – 15
- International Christian Retail Show
St. Louis, MO – June 23-26
- Great Lakes Get Away
Duluth, MN – July 19-21
- Greater Philadelphia Christian Writers Conference
Philadelphia, PA – July 31-August 1st
- Realm Makers 2013
St. Louis, MO – August 2-3
- Oregon Christian Writers Summer Conference
Portland, OR – August 12-15
- American Christian Fiction Writers (ACFW) Conference
Indianapolis, IN – September 12-15
- Writing for the Soul Conference
Colorado Springs, CO February 13-16, 2014
- Mount Hermon Christian Writers Conference
Felton, CA – March 20
- Inland NW Christian Writers Conference
Spokane, WA – March 14-15, 2014
(This is not a completed list.)
- Gina’s Recommended Books:
- Self-editing for Fiction Writers: How to Edit Yourself into Print by Renni Browne and Dave King
- Making a Literary Life by Carolyn See
- Creating Character Emotions by Ann Hood
- Word Painting by Rebecca McClanahan
- On Writing by Stephen King
- Techniques of the Selling Writer by Duane Swain
- Writing the Popular Novel: A Comprehensive Guide to Crafting Fiction that Sells by Loren Estelman
- The Modern Library Writer’s Workshop: A Guide to the Craft of Fiction by Stephen Koch
- Another great source for studying is Gina’s blog, Novel Rocket
Although most writers desire to be published, that isn’t our main purpose for writing. We long to encourage and help people with the words birthed through our own pain and experience.
“Darkness hates light and by sharing our experiences even under the guise of fiction, we are able to minister to those who are travelling the path we’ve already come down. By exposing our own sins and secrets, we are able to understand and sympathize in a way those who haven’t gone through what we have can. More than that, we are allowing others to share their struggles and find healing and support.” Gina Holmes
To have our healing words read, they have to be published.
To be published, they have to be written.
To be written, we have to put our butts in that chair.
We’re only one page a day away.